Helium AWS IoT Channel Guide
AWS IoT is AWS's dedicated IoT offering, used by developers and enterprises in IoT deployments as the entry point into AWS's Cloud Products. One can store, filter, transform, and act upon device and sensor data in the AWS Cloud.
The Helium AWS IoT Channel enables you to quickly send Helium device data to AWS IoT with little effort, while adhering to their schema and security best practices.
To get started, you'll need accounts for both Helium Dashboard and AWS IoT, and an activated Helium Atom.
Setting up the Channel in Dashboard requires 3 pieces of information from AWS.
- Access Key ID
- Secret Access Key
Where to find the Access Key ID
- Log in to your AWS IoT account
- In the nav bar, hover over your name and click My Security Credentials in the dropdown
- In the My Security Credentials page, click Users in the menu
- Click Add Users
- In Set User Details > User Name, type -
- Under Select AWS Access Type, make sure Programmatic Access is selected
- Click Next: Permissions
- We'll add a user to a group next. Click Add user to group > Create Group
- Name the new group
helium and select
- Click Create Group
- Once this new group has been created, check the box to give the
helium user group permissions. Click Next: Review.
- Confirm the new
policy and select Create user to finish.
You should then see a confirmation with your Access Key ID and the Secret Access Key. We'll be using these to finish setting up the Channel in Dashboard.
Configure the Channel in Helium Dashboard
- In Dashboard, go to Channels and create a new AWS IoT channel
- Enter the Access Key ID and the Secret Access Key from AWS
- The AWS Region is available from the browser address bar in AWS IoT. The example below's region is
- Name your Channel and click Create.